Tuesday, July 28, 2015

'Lifters & Drainers'

I came across an old scrapbook and noted a photo of me with the 1956, East St. Louis YMCA Director, Ray Sonnenberg. That summer, I was one of two high school athletes who served as a youth counselor for the YMCA Day Camp Program.

Sonnenberg was somewhat of a sport legend in the Metro-East area. He starred in basketball at Collinsville high school and St. Louis University. He later officiated in the NFL. Aside from working for him that summer of '56, I often visited with Ray in my later adult years. Ray Sonnenberg was that rare individual whom I call a 'spirit-lifter.' You know the kind. That person with whom you visit and you walk away from the conversation feeling happy, energized and rejuvenated with positive vibes. Why? Because the inquiries about your life were so specific and sincere. Ray made others feel important.

After thinking about the late, Ray Sonnenberg, I began making a mental list of other individuals I've known who possessed and possess those similar 'up-lifting' traits. I did manage a rather extensive list of names and recall fond memories of each. I then thought of the individuals in my journey who were and are 'drainers.' Those people that rob your spirit and 'drain' your energies. Wow, those 'drainer-names' come much more rapidly than the lifter-names and the 'drain' list grows much longer.

Suddenly, I thought to myself...This is not a good mental exercise. One cannot control others' presentations in our lives. We can only enjoy the spirit lifters and minimize contact with the energy-drainers.

Oh, there is one other thing we can and should control...make sure our own name is in the 'spirit-lifter' group.

No comments:

Post a Comment