Sunday, July 19, 2015

It's Just Stuff

Everybody has some but some folks have much more than other folks. Your thinking perhaps money, brains or fears.  I am referring to 'stuff' or 'junk.' Money, brains and fears are found on my short list. I frequently stumble over lots of stuff and struggle tossing my junk.

I spent 54-years in the sports world. Along with the many intrinsic rewards in sports there are certainly growing extrinsic awards given at every turn. I received more than a fair share of plaques, various certificates of commendation and endless photos to document the aforementioned moments. I appreciated those who took the initiative to recognize my efforts and noted successes. That said, those extrinsic awards today qualify as 'stuff.' Stuff that others may define as junk. The reality is when I croak, my kids will face that moment trying to decide if they should 'pitch-it' or store it. I know this because I have rearranged my stuff and the stuff of my Aunt Kate, who died five years ago and my mother's stuff since her death nearly four years past.

I cannot speak for others but as for me, I find it difficult to discard prized possessions of love ones especially since their voices are silenced. Over the years, I have slowly subtracted my stuff.
 I am sure some will remain in my watch.

I am now addressing my personal stuff with a more matter-of-fact determination. I wish to remove the pending angst from my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment