Monday, July 27, 2015

What a Slick Move !

 The other morning standing at the kitchen window having my daily glass of tomato juice, I was looking at things in the backyard. My wife's flowers are beautiful, the swing is always inviting and the Arbor with its climbing vines looks smart sporting the antique Gaslight Square ice cream table and chairs. However, something is missing...I finally realized, we have no alley. In fact, I cannot recall the last neighborhood visited where I noticed an alley. For those who may not understand my shock, the alley was a neighborhood staple sure as a home having front and back doors.

The alley is an easement lane between two properties; that narrow passageway between two backyards. Back in my youth, I recall most alley ways were covered with chat or ciders. We used to spread our stoker ciders from the furnace onto our alley. The alley was a good place to play 'bottle caps baseball." The alley was where all home owners placed garbage cans for trash pick ups. In today's modern age of technology, more elegant landscaping and greater sophistication home owners place the garbage cans and trash in the front of their homes for pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment