Thursday, October 15, 2015

A Story To Share

In the spring of 1977, I signed a coaching/teaching contract with Jacksonville School District 117. Among the numerous understandings, I was granted the opportunity to personally recommend three assistant coaches for employment. Ken Hickman, who was on my Edwardsville staff, came with me to Jacksonville. John Conklin had played for me in the mid1960's at Mason City, Illinois. John agreed to join the Crimsons staff as varsity assistant. The last spot was significant to and beyond the boys' basketball program. After conversations with District administrators it was agreed that our basketball program, school district and community would be well served through the hiring of a black coach-teacher.

My coaching reality nudged me to acquire a black coach on staff for the positive statement it made to the 110 black students mixed into a high school population of 1200 students. I needed that individual of character who served as the 'role model' while diffusing the perception within the black community that 'our kids' don't get a chance. I needed that individual to serve as a subliminal recruitment tool.

My choice had a history. While coaching at Edwardsville high school, I had the opportunity to observe the nearby SIUE basketball program. I recalled a young black player who impressed me with his approach and the gentlemanly manner demonstrated. Sam Holmes was my guy.

All of the assistant coaches on my staff during the twenty-one years that I was responsible for JHS basketball will undoubtedly tell you that they felt access and 'ownership' to our program. Oh, by the way, in a community of approximately 7% black, my Crimsons basketball teams were comprised of nearly 40% black players...our JHS basketball program made giant strides.

No comments:

Post a Comment