Friday, October 2, 2015

Fundamentalism Scares Me

A few weeks ago, I saw a television debate between religious folks who said they were fundamentalists. What I can determine, religious fundamentalists embrace a literal interpretation of their respective 'holy book' scriptures. The debate was between a Jew, Christian, Muslim and Atheist. Although the Atheist did not claim fundamentalist status, it's reasonable to place him in that camp.

After listening to an hour of the poppycock jibber-jabber, I concluded one thing; none of them were very good listeners and each  appeared short on tolerance. I believe they 'hear' only their own words. Therein lies a worldwide problem. My neighbor recently told me that he has read extensively about the Muslim faith and said, "Those people believe some crazy-ass stuff." I don't know anything about the Muslim Qur'an. I personally consider myself a born-again Christian who follows the Methodist doctrine, however I am not a Methodist/Christian fundamentalist! Deuteronomy 22: 23-24, scares the crap out of me.

Actually, when it comes to religious beliefs, I really don't care what others believe or what day of the week they attend worship service. All religious sects should agree to keep our religious opinions to ourselves unless someone is so impressed with our loving kindness they ask, "Where do you go to church because I'd like to 'get some of THAT?'

You're welcome to visit here in Decatur. We'll sit a spell on the backyard swing while the weather is still good. Just stay off the front yard grass, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment