Thursday, October 8, 2015

Wish I Was A Cubs' Fan

My 18 year old Chicago-Northwest Suburb grandson text me after the Cubs' playoff win over the Pirates last night. Through his typed words you could hear and feel his enthusiastic jubilation. As millions of others across this nation he is a Chicago Cubs' die-hard fan. Their long wait to bathe in World Series' waters suddenly seems truly possible with a young and talented team.

One of his text messages to his Cardinals-rooting grandfather read: "I've been waiting for this for eighteen years." God bless him, that is his lifetime. However, I had to tell him that considering no World Series winner for Cubbies fans since 1908, that meant some fans died waiting.

Upon completion of our text exchanges, I lay in bed thinking about the scenario of the upcoming five game playoff series between my grandson's Cubs and my Redbirds. It occurs to me that at the moment it is more fun being a Cub fan than a Cardinals fan. Let me explain. Keep in mind the old saying: "Life is a journey not a destination."

This 76 year old Cardinals fan is somewhat conditioned to his team winning...getting in the playoffs...advancing deep in the playoffs and yes...winning the BIG prize. With that experience, I have unintentionally developed high personal standards of fan expectations. You see, I won't be happy unless my team is 'in' the World Series. That's when I will feel the joy that my grandson is feeling for his Cubs. This attitude is unfair to Cardinals' players and myself and really, not much fun.

The ride is always better than the arrival. Success is living in a truly joyful state and that 'living' is in the journey. One cannot argue the fact: It's a good time to travel in Cubbies' 'Blue.'

No comments:

Post a Comment