Friday, October 23, 2015

Clip Cost; Comments Free

I got my hair cut yesterday. Every year, I am paying more money to have less hair trimmed. In 1951, I paid fifty cents for a flat top cut and perhaps thirty-five cents for a jar of 'Butch Wax,' which kept that 'stand-up' look. The 'Wax' lasted forever, the hair style did not. Today, my senior discount haircut cost puts the price $13.00, of course, the tip takes the amount to fifteen bucks.

The barber shop has always been an interesting conversation venue. Years ago, that shop was strictly a male gathering place except for that occasional 'first hair cut' when mother stood beside the chair attempting to reassure junior that the fella standing behind you with scary looking tools was NOT going to remove your ears. The all male joint sported magazine literature that you would not take home for mom to read and the jokes spewed would only be repeated to other male friends. Things changed at the barber shop 'salon.' Female groomers became common and suddenly the shops were purged of smut and the physical appearance improved.

There is still sports' talk and political opinions bantered about the flying hairs. I remember the cautionary note given by parents back-the-day, 'don't talk religion or politics in public.' Many people ignore that warning today. I still try to bite my tongue. Yesterday, a barbershop patron told anybody listening that if Hilary Clinton is elected President, she will be impeached the first month. He went on to explain that President Obama is the worst President in American history. Several, other patrons spoke agreeing comments. I said nothing.

As I prepared to depart, I wished all a good weekend. Walking to my automobile, I thought of a George Carlin comment: "Have you noticed that half the people you meet are f#*^ing stupid and the other half is full of shit?"


No comments:

Post a Comment