Thursday, October 22, 2015

Okay, That's Cleared Up

In recent Facebook exchanges with former coaching colleagues and players, I have made some comments, which I wish not to be misconstrued. Let me clean up some opinions that I may have inadvertently suggested.

First, speaking in 'general' terms, I truly believe that today's athletes are better than those athletes of yesteryear. I believe this is due to the following reasons: Athletes come from healthier, stronger mothers and benefit from better prenatal care. Athletes, today enjoy the latest proven training regiments predicated on valued research and studies. Today's coaching knowledge and preparation is anchored in improved teaching methods.

Now that I am on the record with this opinion, let me also state and stand firm on another opinion: Many, if not most athletes, today have been handicapped by overzealous, helicoptering parents who have unfortunately instilled selfishness 'me-me' and entitlement attitudes. I witnessed this subtle change during a thirty-nine year coaching career. More than once, I wished some players ate dinner at my table rather than the one at their house.

 Consider this: I began coaching in 1962. Kids fought one another to pick up a charging foul to please the coach  help the team? The last year I coached was 2001. I told a player that he needed to cut off the baseline on defense and pick up a charge. He said, "My mom and dad told me not to pick up charging fouls because I could get hurt." Woe-is-me, I've stayed too long at the gym... Time to GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment