Sunday, October 4, 2015

I Like Boathouse Weddings

Boathouse weddings are 'cool.' The first boathouse wedding I ever attended was my own. It was held at Grand Marais State Park (now called Frank Holten Park) in East St. Louis. Yep, June 11, 1960 was our special day some fifty-five years ago.

We chose to get married at the Grand Marais Boathouse for religious reasons. Okay, let me break this down in simple language. My wife and I were raised in different religious faiths...one Roman Catholic and one Methodist. I'm not going to explain, in detail, what kinda 'stuff' hits the fan and the drama-hysteria that occurred back-in-the-day when a Catholic and a Protestant married. Suffice to say, many folks acted extremely un-Christian...much like today...that part remains the same.

My wife and I began our boy-girl relationship we she was 13 and I but 14. We dated seven years. Do you think possibly the two of us just may have discussed religion at some point? Did not make any difference to some folks because their tolerant-needle was locked in ONE position...'self-important!' Therefore to appease those religious zealots, we elected a 'neural court' for our ceremony; The Boathouse. Most of our families and friends celebrated with us... a few boycotted.

This past Saturday, my wife and I attended our second Boathouse Wedding at a lovely South St. Louis park. The outdoor ceremonial-staging was terrific. A most beautiful setting. My wife and I were delighted to be in supportive-attendance.  I hope the newly weds enjoy the many years we have enjoyed. There was a large crowd; I hope no one boycotted the ceremony due to the fact the couple are both females.
When it comes to true love and tolerance: "C'est la vie Say The Old Folks, You surely never can tell."

No comments:

Post a Comment