Saturday, October 24, 2015

Forever My Boys

I think often about the young men who played on my basketball teams over my coaching career. That career touched seven high schools in thirty-nine years. Needless to say that my recall can search hundreds of names.

I recall a few years ago, I was approached by an Alton Telegraph sports writer who covered my Edwardsville teams in the 1970's. He asked me a question. It was a question that I normally choose to avoid answering. Who was the best shooter between Ricardo 'Dick' Brown, a Edwardsville guard who later played at Pepperdine or Andy Kaufmann, a Jacksonville forward who played for Illinois. One was a pure shooter the other was a pure scorer...they are different beasts. I have fewer of those questions as time passes. I suppose folks lose interest in older names as newer names become today's phenoms.

In my own quiet hours, I often enjoy building my own 'lists.' You know, among all my former players who were the top five shooters, who were the best defenders, who was the best ball handlers, etc. However, I take the list-exercise to another level. I will seek recall of players' names to complete lists such as: Most conscientious, most dedicated, toughest mentally, best leaders, best work ethics and the lists go on. This permits me to remember the names of many of my boys. When names pop into my mind, you can bet there is a plethora of stories that unfold.

There is one young man whose name comes to mind often. Greg Havlin. He shall always remain 'special' for some very unique reasons. I'll share those with you in my next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment