Friday, October 30, 2015

We Loved You Stephen Corey

We came from different East St. Louis neighborhoods. He was close in to the inner city while I lived in the Washington Park area. He attended Rock Junior High and Lansdowne Junior High was my middle school home. We first met on a junior high school basketball court. He was a quick, feisty little guard and I was the six foot gangling forward. His defense gave me fits; a classic example of spirited quickness negating the slower methodical shooter. I learned a lesson as that ninth grade basketball player from a kid who would become a dear high school friend and teammate. The lesson was 'low-blocking' the ball as every shooter brings 'the ball' up through the frontal mid-section before shooting.

His name was Stephen Corey Blackwell. Some close friends called him 'Welder Brain.'  I have no idea the origin of that nickname. Steve was academically smart and a very cerebral athlete, which compensated for his 5'7" 142 lbs. frame.

We were baseball and basketball teammates and very close social friends. The summer of 1954, Steve and I were hand picked by East St. Louis YMCA Director, Ray Sonnenberg to serve as camp counselor. Long after our 1957 East Side High graduation we reunited with those every five years class reunions. We telephoned each other through the years. Perhaps nearly a year ago, Steve was diagnosed with inoperable stomach cancer. Attempting to keep a non-intrusive contact, I would telephone Steve about every five to six weeks. His spirits were good...even uplifting and lighthearted. The inquiry, How you doing was met with his pat response, 'Well they still have me on the green side of the grass.'

I telephoned my friend two days ago and a recorded voice told me that the number had been disconnected. My wife and I knew. We knew but I nevertheless began my telephoning scrambling. I called several people but no luck...no information about Steve. I finally, located Steve's older brother in Ohio. Upon identifying myself, Ellis Blackwell confirmed the loss. My friend, Steve Blackwell died October 2, 2015. The beginning of the month. He was cremated.

I need not tell you...a part of me is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment