Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Be Strong for The Weak

Grandpa E. V. Bennett often cautioned his wife (Mammy) to "Tend to your own knitten', Mary." I suppose that Kentuckyism was a way of reminding one to keep your nose out of other folks' business...sound advice, eh? Well, Mammy did not heed the advice and this grandson also ignores the warning. Now don't get me wrong, I never stick my nose into folks private or personal affairs but that's the only thing off-limits.

There has been numerous occasions when I have made the determination that someone was getting abused in some manner and I have intervened. I've never regretted my actions in those circumstances.
Failure to come to the assistance or defense in behalf of another being mistreated or compromised by the more powerful is unacceptable apathy. The first time I noticed this phenomenon was at Charles L. Manners Grade School in East St. Louis. Bullies should not 'rule' the playground.

I am confident my adult children acquired the same attitude and trust they have preached that approach to my grandchildren. I understand that there are great risks when you defend others or attempt any interference in the weaks' behalf. You subject yourself to rejection, ostracism, reproach, condemnation or censorship. However, make no mistake, when you observe a wrong or mistreatment and elect to say nothing or do nothing you run the risk of losing connection with the human condition, which can damage your soul.

I understand everyone is 'running life's race.' That said, if you see somebody run into another person's running-lane, call them out. Don't fall prey to the greatest sickness of the twenty-first century, which is 'fear of criticism and fear of failure.'

       (Touch)
Lean on Me

No comments:

Post a Comment