Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Plain Talk

Today, I declare 'Readers Participation Day.' That's right, I invite you to share your recollections on the subject.
My Dad possessed a 'knack' in his communication style. He spoke volumes using few words. Actually, my father could oft times say a lot with just a LOOK. The difference between my mother's communication and that of my father's was found in 'tone delivery.' Simply stated, mom would sugar-coat messages in the attempt not to hurt feelings. Dad cut-the-hog and let it bleed.

Here is a sampling of one-liners and quick-quips from my Dad's lips:
 1) Because I said so.
 2) Yours is not to reason why, yours is but to do or die.
 3) If a job's worth doing it's worth doing well.
 4) Shallow hours begin around mid-night. Be home before they start.
 5) Don't let your mouth overload your ass while out on the streets.
 6) When you pay the bills, I'll ask your opinion.
 7) I'll whistle once when supper's ready; don't make us wait.
 8) Behave yourself at school. Don't make me miss work to come talk with your teacher.
 9) Excuses are like assholes, boy, everybody has one.
10) If you're going to play sports, hustle and don't embarrass me.
11) If you don't like something in your life then do something to change it.
12) Don't come to the supper table complaining, I Don't.

Perhaps my aging brain has left one or two off the list. Two things certain: I surely did not want to disappoint the man and his smile of approval or "Atta Boy," comment made the day.

    (Touch)

Oh My Papa

No comments:

Post a Comment