Thursday, April 6, 2017

Restaurant Realities

My father owned 'Roustio's Sirloin Strip' restaurant in Collinsville, Illinois for 14 years. My brothers Tom and Marty worked in that restaurant plus other eateries. I guess you would say that I dabbled at the business. During the seven years coaching cross-country and basketball at Edwardsville high school, I often covered some summer restaurant closing hours to give folks relief. I truly enjoyed the restaurant atmosphere and the employees. I did learn some things about the business. For what it's worth I will share those random enlightenment's:

Random Restaurant Revelations---
 1) You cannot be all things to all people...decide who are and what you offer.
      Some will like it but not everyone.
 2) The number one consideration is 'quality products in the hands of quality cooks.'
 3) The most suspect area in the restaurant is the handling of ice.
      Note: That restaurant experience has me ordering drinks to this day 'WITHOUT' ice.
 4) Don't let profit walk out the back door.
 5) Expect the elderly to want everything for nothing while leaving skimpy tips.
      Note: I noticed many senior men today walking into McDonald's with yesterday's cup in  
                hand. They plan to go directly to the refill area. Pathetic!
 6) Church people are right behind seniors in the expectation line. I suppose they believe God favors
      them and so should restaurants.
 7) Pack a gun if you're closing the place late at night.
 8) Anticipate cooks fussing with each other as they seek favor with the boss as do children with their
      parents, i.e. Sibling rivalry.
10) Best way to 'make money' is cut portions and increase prices.
11) Many waitresses could embarrass a Sailor with language.
12) When that Cowboy dude driving that cattle truck enters the place he's going to order a steak.
       When the waitress asks, "How do you want that steak cooked?" He's going to reply, "Take the
       horns off, wipe its ass and bring it here."
       Never forget...a good salad compliments any meal.....

      (Touch)
Polk Salad


No comments:

Post a Comment