Saturday, April 22, 2017

When it began...

Today, Saturday, April 22 is 'Record Store Saturday.' An international day to celebrate record stores and highlight the vinyl record. Take note: Vinyl records are making a 'comeback.'

Like many people, I am a pop culture music lover who collected more than a fair share of vinyl records. Most of my hundreds of 45's and LP's chronicle the music of the 1940's through the 1980's.

I have a rather extensive collection of gospel, Broadway Show tunes, Billboard Pop Hits and some Jazz and Classical. I find time during a week to isolate myself in my downstairs office where I can listen to various individual and group artists. I find this retreat most satisfying and rejuvenating.

I particularly enjoy the sounds of doo wop and Motown groups. For years, I believed that the Five Satins' song, 'In The Still of The Night' was the first recording to be characterized as true doo wop. Today, I would argue the case in behalf of the Penguins who recorded and released this song in 1954:

    (Touch)
Earth Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment