Thursday, April 20, 2017

Don't Get Sucked In

All have heard the familiar warnings about two bodies of water; the ocean and rivers. The concern we often hear regarding the rivers is 'beware of possible currents' and the ocean warning cautions folks about the 'rip-tides.' Each water phenomenon can be deadly to the unsuspecting or inexperienced.

I have a 'social-family-relationship' warning. Most readers have asked parents for an opinion and most have had parents offer unsolicited opinions. Kinda part of our family dynamics, which can erupt in ugliness if we are not cautious.  It usually occurs when the possibility is not anticipated.

Let me explain using a personal experience. My wife (Gerry) and I had a terrific relationship with my parents and her widowed mother. We often solicited our parents opinions when we were contemplating big decisions. Many times we would factor in those opinions other times we might reject the offerings without further conversations.

Many times my parents would travel to our homes in Assumption, Mason City, Washington, Edwardsville and Jacksonville. While visiting for a long weekend, my father might take it upon himself to go beyond 'suggesting' a living-room/family room furniture re-arrangement but instead simply re-arrange the furniture in a different fashion without permission. My wife would always leave the furniture how dad had arranged it. Often, after my folks departed for home, she had me put the furniture back to its original location.

It's somewhat like 18-year old grandson, Jamie Roustio functions regarding his Nana's (Gerry's) advice. Nana is notorious for staying 'after' grandchildren to eat more of this and that when seated at meals. At some point the grandkids will stand their ground with a "NO!" Jamie asked me once, "Boompa, why do all the grandkids fight Nana about eating when she keeps after them to eat more food?"  Jamie went on to say, "It's a little easier on everybody to just eat the darn food! Who wants to get sucked into an argument with Nana?"
Avoid 'Danger'...READ SIGNS. (Touch) Detour

No comments:

Post a Comment