Friday, April 28, 2017

Next to Godliness

Teaching physical education and coaching basketball had a common-denominator. There was a shower expectation at the activities conclusion. Speaking from a personal experience that expectation waned drastically over the years. I recall as a junior high and high school athlete that I always took a shower after participation. I had soap and a towel in my gym-locker. In college, I had soap and deodorant in my locker; a towel was always provided.

The first 10-14 years coaching, I noticed athletes usually showered. The shower started disappearing from the physical education activity. Many parents began writing those infamous 'please excuse' notes to get junior and missy out of showering and if possible 'getting dressed and participating.' I understand that some young people have physical maturation and developmental issues but the proportion of students bringing bogus notes begging off getting dressed for physical education and taking showers exceedes that possible number.

From 1962 until 2001 physical education classes and shower habits changed greatly. Once upon a time the P.E. students all dressed in school approved uniforms. The class began with military style roll call and warm up exercise calesthenics. Physical educators tried despartly to demand this procedure but as time passed parents ratcheted up the demands in behalf of their childs' plea to 'write an excuse note' and administrators took the easier road of not backing the physical education's philosophies.

I suppose it's of little consequence when we know parents are teaching discipline and demanding good hygiene habits of their child.

    (Touch)
Little Bit of Soap

No comments:

Post a Comment