Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Embrace Your Senility

Recently, a fella who was angry with my opinions called me 'senile.' My goodness, I spent nearly forty years coaching. Can you possibly imagine the name calling I've heard lofted in my direction?
Senile, really?

Sure, I'm getting to be an old codger and indeed, I've lost my 'cool.' Why about three weeks ago, I came across some old 8 mm home movies and I could not believe how much 'cool' I've lost. Back in 1954, you could see me playing croquet dressed in sharp plaid Bermuda-style shorts, white t-shirt with dark socks and brown loafers. Can't capture that suave again! We were even doing 'cool' things while playing croquet. When the camera was on us we would pretend to pick our nose or elsewhere.

 Today, I tend to be a contrary old fart who lacks the motivation to change many of my ways. I also admit that I don't hear so good or see so good and that can be scary. During a recent eye exam, I could swear that the young female technician said, "Follow YOUR finger with MY eyes." I replied, "I don't think I can do that." Later when she said she was going to put drops in my eyes, I responded, "Read the bottle label and make sure it's not your fingernail polish-remover." I could tell she was not happy with my comments. Hey, too bad, this is the same gal who wants me to follow my finger with her eyes and I that's scary. Speaking of scary, if they ever do a re-make of Alfred Hitchcock's movie, "Psycho," I suggest they cast Jeff Sessions in the role as Norman Bates.

It helps to vent with my daily Roustio Rants and cooking. That's right, cooking. I've been doing 70% of the dinner cooking for the past five years and I love doing it. I've developed my own cookbook recipes and I've become somewhat territorial about the kitchen. One enjoyable sidebar to the cooking is shopping. I enjoy going to the grocery store and telling folks there how to do their respective jobs...i.e. "You should close that self checkout lane and employ someone to take care of customers." I make that scene at least once-a-week. I believe I'll make my 'Senate Bean Soup Recipe' tonight with some Mexican Cornbread...better remind my wife that she should sleep in another bedroom tonight.

Senile? Comes with the journey. We just returned from a two-months Florida wintering and within two weeks, I will see my gastroenterologist, my opathamologist, podiatrist, dermatologist and family physician. If not for doctors' appointments my wife and I would have NO social life.
You're invited to join me at church. I'm the fella whose left-hand shakes a bit when passing the collection plate...I'm not having a stroke. Doc tells me it's a 'senile tremor.'

     (Touch)

I Wish I was 18 Again

No comments:

Post a Comment