Tuesday, February 6, 2018

East Side 'Flyers' Teammate

A former East St. Louis Senior High School teammate of mine from the mid-50's died this past Sunday morning at age 79. Don Choate was one year my senior. We were basketball and baseball teammates in high school and also American Legion Baseball. Choate signed  a major league contract with the St. Louis Cardinals upon high school graduation.

Don had impressive minor league pitching statistics but in 1959 the Cardinals packaged Choate and pitcher, Sam Jones trading them to the San Francisco Giants for Infielders, Bill White and Ray Jablonsky. Choate and White were the two centerpieces. Choate was called up to the Giants 'big club' near the end of the 1960 season. He appeared in a few games working eight innings. In the off-season, Don injured his pitching shoulder in a freak furniture moving accident. It became a career ending injury.

Don and I competed against each other before high school days in the East St. Louis various city youth leagues and junior high. Although we were teammates, we never were close friends. Perhaps it was simply a competitive teen thing. I just know there was a matter of fact interaction.

Several years ago, East St. Louis held a baseball reunion and attempts were made to get Choate to attend but to no avail. I wanted to visit with Don so I asked a mutual teammate from those days to make the arrangements. Tom McGraw, another pitcher from that team, who was perhaps Don's best  friend obliged. The three of us met for breakfast near Don's home in O'Fallon, Illinois. We had a good visit as we swapped stories and shared flashbacks. A waiter took our picture as we were preparing to leave. I called Don on a couple of ocassions after that meeting and had good conversations.

Some three weeks ago, McGraw telephoned me to share information about Don's terminal illness. I telephoned Don's daughter to let her know that I had her father in my thoughts and prayers. She said that she was heading to the hospital and would deliver my message. I trust she did. I hope she did.

I'm glad I made effort to reunite with Don. I believe it served two old men well. I know we departed feeling better about one another...it sometimes happens when the spotlight fades becoming less important.









No comments:

Post a Comment