Wednesday, February 7, 2018

We Are Becoming A Boastful and Tasteless Nation

My maternal grandmother, 'Mammy' Bennett preached to me to "Always show kindness and humility for it pleases our Lord." My father insisted that I never boast about accomplishments but instead, "When you start thinking what you just accomplished was all that big a deal, I can guarantee that others have done more."

In my journey's rear view mirror there are moments that are pleasing to recall and most often those times held a common denominator of service to others; people and family in need and young people I taught and coached. On the other hand, that rear view mirror reflects some failures, therefore while still 'in-the-game,' I need stay humble and focus on others.

A few days ago, President Trump gave a State of the Union message. As usual, he boasted mostly about what he perceives are his accomplishments and then afterward accused Democrats, from whom he wishes to have bipartisan support for his agenda, as being "unpatriotic" and "treasonous" for not applauding all aspects of his speech. Certainly a rather illogical governing philosophy. For an American President to dare state that one who does not applaud him is treasonous is idiotic. The man does not understand the guarantees insured under the First Amendment nor does he know what  constitutes treason.

My greatest concern is the direction of this nation away from decency and tolerance.' We pontificate that we are a Christian nation and we are not. Saying we are Christians does not make it so. We have less than 20% of professing Christians in church Sunday mornings. Our racial divide continues to cripple. We ARE a prejudice nation. The Lord's plea for us to "Love one another as I have loved you" appear to be words without meaning.

Now, our President wishes to have a military parade down Pennsylvania Avenue as a show of might much like communist regimes of Cuba, China and Russia. A military show-parade suggesting to the world 'my guns are bigger than your guns' is uncharacteristic of our culture and flies in the face of the teachings' of Jesus Christ. Of course, being a gaudy show off-bully is true to Trump's nature, after all his inaugural crowd was the biggest ever, his State of the Union television audience was the biggest ever and the man's vulgar and disgusting boasting goes on and on...biggest ever.

My conclusion? My grandmother, Mammy and my father were old time Christians that had it all wrong. They would be totally out of step with today's Evangelicals who invite politics into the church , which is corrupting religion in the eyes of many who stay away on Sunday morning and from a relationship with God.
(Touch Here)
Pray for God's Healing of a Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment