Thursday, February 22, 2018

Vanishing Friends But Lasting Memories

I first knew them as middle school sports' opponents. We all attended different schools in the blue collar city of East St. Louis. The decade of the 1950's saw the river city of eighty-six thousand flourish as a vibrant industrial city. We would come together at the East Side three-year public high school. We became known by nicknames: Smitty, Blackie, Pud and Moe. We proudly represented that school in various sports...we forged lifelong friendships.

The story I share this morning is a story repeated and recalled by millions daily across this nation. This is my story. In the last five years, I have lost my three dear friends. Blackie fought a courageous cancer battle for a few years before his death. Smitty was not strong enough to withstand a surgery and this past Sunday Pud, Best Man in my wedding would leave his dark prison of Alzheimer's.

I spoke frequently with each Buddy over the years.  I miss those conversations deeply! I am left with private thoughts and recollections that make no sense and no connection with others. So many moments and so many stories now sleep forever.

I thank Good for each moment I shared with my friends. I am a better person for having been part of these journey's. May Steve Blackwell, Ronnie Smith and Sam Flood Rest In Peace. I know they'll save a spot in the batting order for their friend.
(Touch)
My Buddy

No comments:

Post a Comment