Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Random Snowbird Thoughts

Yesterday's Florida sun was delightfully warm and complimented by a gentle breeze, which kept these old bones outside with Poodle Pup, Yodie. The down time away from writing and research gave me an opportunity to mentally process Destin Snowbirds' observations and activities. I share some of these random views:

It's true that shuffleboard is a serious sport activity for the 80+ crowd...we visited friends at a high rise condo complex and found them intensely competing with hobbling-slow-shuffling and the even trash-talking old farts. I was invited to stay for a potluck luncheon but I passed; proving I still make good choices now and then.

My wife has more visiting friends here than I have back home in Decatur. One of her dearest friends in snowbird paradise is Marie. Now, Marie is a self-proclaimed Kentucky 'Hillbilly.' Since my mother's people came from the Bluegrass Country, I have a soft spot for 'Hillbilly Folks,' in spite of the fact that they believe roadkill is edible if dressed out the same day. Marie sent us some beef-stew with 'flat-cornbread.' Since we already had supper for that day, we decided to save the meal for the next night. Meanwhile, Gerry thought the flat-bread was pancakes so the next morning, she warmed them in the microwave, put butter and syrup on them thinking they were pancakes. This suggests that city girls and hillbilly girls should have interpreters.

Speaking of Decatur, we have two Decatur couple friends also wintering in Destin. Nice to hook up and visit and reassure each other that even though, at times, we'd like the weather to be warmer; "It could be worse, we could be in Decatur."

On a personal note, I enjoy the Saturday afternoon concerts at the nearby Sandestin Hilton Inn area and best of all the Sunday morning worship service at Faith Assembly 'Rock & Roll Church.'
The only negative I've found in the Miramar Beach/Destin wintering experience is lack of diversity. If it was not for my two trash men, the grocery store checkout gals, baggers and the Rock & Roll Church, I'd think I was wintering in a warm climate Norway.
(Touch Here)
Random Wintering Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment