Monday, August 13, 2018

A Christian With Barnacles

Recently, a regular blog reader  asked: "What kind of Christian are you, Mel?" The tone in his voice suggested that I was not measuring up to his preconceived notion of how one who claims Christianity should comport one's self. Well, if a Christian is supposed to be pure and perfect in the eyes of others or in or even in reality then pencil me in as a failure. I am a struggling sinful individual who is constantly seeking a closer relationship with my Lord. That said, I fall short in some manner each day.

In Elizabeth Barrett Browning's sonnet 43, she begins, "How do I love thee, let me count the ways I love thee... That said, let me offer just a few ways in which I will disappoint others if they dare look for a pure Christian walk in my steps. I tend to be too controlling. I fight against impatience and intolerance. I can become irritated with others' procrastination and negativity. I tend to miss opportunities to bring witness of my Lord's gift of salvation. Too often I brainwash myself that I cannot do something because I'm convinced that I'm tired or too old for a younger generation to embrace. I could go on and on for my 'weakness traits' are numerous. However...
The above acknowledged, I shall nevertheless start each morning with a prayer of thanksgiving and close each day with a prayer of personal evaluation. Thus I hope to improve my Christian persona but more importantly improve my walk with Christ.
(Touch)
Closer Walk With Thee

No comments:

Post a Comment