Monday, August 20, 2018

Get Up and Get After It!

This past week, my wife, Gerry and I attended our church sponsored Alzheimer's Seminar presented by neuropsychologist, Dr. Lee Hall who practices at Decatur Memorial Hospital. Gerry and I were among some thirty folks, mostly seniors seeking a greater insight into the mysterious diseases of the brain.  We all likely departed the two-hour presentation with the understanding that proper diet and exercises of the mind and body were the most significant things in our control to hold off the potential aging issues of dementia and the dreaded abyss called Alzheimer's.

It would be a gross understatement to say the diagnosis of specific brain maladies is easy to determine. After hearing Dr. Hall's well versed but complicated brain malfunctions explanations it became clearer than ever 'why' the frustration with Alzheimer's.

I did pose one question because I know it haunts my wife and I suspect it's on many people's minds.That question sought the answer to the 'heredity factors' associated with dementia and Alzheimer's. The Doctor's answer dismissed the notion. The disease is not genetic. One factor appeared relevant to me. It seems that a sedentary life style coupled with depression places the elderly in a vulnerable position to develop dementia.

The charge that I took away that evening was: 'Use It Or Lose It.'
(Touch)
Live til You Die

No comments:

Post a Comment