Friday, August 17, 2018

A Grand Enterprise

I walked onto Illinois State Normal University's campus as a freshman in the fall of 1957. The university was commemorating its 100th Anniversary. ISNU had long been viewed as one of the premier teacher preparation institutions in the Midwest. Long time university history professor, Dr. Helen Marshall had completed her writing and published a book entitled, 'The Grandest of Enterprises,' which chronicled the first 100 year history of  Illinois State Normal University.

I bought into Dr. Marshall's premise and became one instrument of Education for thirty-nine professional years. I have no regrets and would do it all over in a heart beat. I truly believe teaching to be the 'grandest of enterprises.' The surgical doctor who saves a life this day had his nurturing in education directed by teachers and professors as did most people walking this nation. I rest my case!

This fall I count five family members who will welcome students to classrooms. Son, Steve, daughter in-law Kathy, daughter Pam and granddaughters, Amanda and Lindsay will have opportunities to positively impact young lives. For my family of teachers and the millions of others who "Gladly Learn and Gladly Teach," I shall lift you in daily prayer asking for patience, energy, support and a steadfast spirit. May God bless all who wade the waters of the 'Grandest of Enterprises.'




No comments:

Post a Comment