Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A Gift Recipient Should Not Be An Ass

My attitude towards charitable giving has always been motivated by the quote: " There but for the Grace of God go I." The thought being...I perhaps missed some misfortune due to God's Grace. In any event, I am joined by my wife in an attitude of 'giving.' We choose to rotate our gift-giving for obvious reasons; we would run out of money before we would run out of good causes.

Our giving is endless, Church, Heart Association, Alzheimer's, Cancer Society, MDA, MS, March of Dimes, Autism Association, Shriners' Crippled Children Hospital, St. Jude's, Animal Shelter, Boys Town, Disabled Veterans and the wino standing on the corner of Ash Street and MLK Drive.

I stopped giving to those television evangelist back in 1987, when the late Pastor Oral Roberts told viewers God told him that he had to raise 8 million dollars or God was going to 'call' Oral home to heaven. In recent years this kind of ridiculous anti-Christ poppycock has escalated. Some TV preacher tells folks they need to send him $1,000 seed money and they will be blessed; I shall stop there and allow you readers to watch Sunday AM television Church for the rest of the story!

Just yesterday the Firefighters telephoned me and asked for a pledge. I told them to send some pledge card mail out and my wife and I would place the firefighters in our gift-giving rotation plan. He didn't like that idea and insisted that I make a verbal pledge. I told him that since it was MY money, I'd make the gift-giving rules; he hung up. The next time the firefighters telephone, I'll hang up.

No comments:

Post a Comment