Monday, March 30, 2015

Fear Not All Bad

I recall a few years back watching that television show called, ' Fear Factor.' Contestants could win increased money values predicated on taking more and more serious dares and risks. Personally, there is not enough dough to have me bungy-jump off the Royal Gorge Bridge. However, I can assure you that my generation grew up with a 'fear factor;' actually 'factors!' Let me explain.

My religious training reminded us frequently (Sunday Sermons/ parents lectures) that Jesus would be returning to earth and those who were living in sin and had not repented would be doomed to the fires of Hell forever...that's a long time. My daughter once suggested that my religious teaching was based on fear. I thought, "You bet your sweet Book of Revelations!" Does not a good loving parent warn of street traffic, strangers, the hot stove, etc.?

Let me share some of my other youthful fear factors: consequences for bad behavior...and whereas many parents today withhold corporal punishments, my parents did not! As a toddler, I got spankings for tantrums and other inappropriate behavior. I can assure you that at age 16, I experienced my father's backhand when I disrespectfully sassed my mother making her cry.

I never doubted for a moment that my parents loved me. I never held the misconception that my parents worshiped me. I did understand early in life that my Dad loved my Mother more than anybody and if Mom was happy, Dad was happy and well you get it...it's a 'trickle-down theory' that worked a hellava lot better than the one Ronald Reagan offered.

No comments:

Post a Comment