Wednesday, November 9, 2016

And That's My Answer

This past Monday, November 7, was the official IHSA boys' basketball practice start date. On Tuesday, November 8, a prep sports' writer telephoned to interview me. The scribe asked a few questions about  the Annual Decatur Thanksgiving basketball tournament that I coordinate and then threw in a personal inquiry. His question: "Mel, now that you've been out of coaching for 15- years is there anything you still miss?" Absolutely. It never goes away.

I miss not 'having' a team. By that I mean, I don't have those players' names in my head always thinking of line up combinations and specific offensive/defensive alignments. But...the thing that I miss the most is bringing kids together from a wide range of experiences, attitudes, beliefs and expectations and then molding those different personalities into a 'unit.'

Some of those players were living on welfare others know a life of affluence. Some players knew the comforts and security of a family unit while other kids knew only the dysfunctional life of divorce, abuse and addictions. Some players came from homes with strong religious foundations while some were void of any support systems.

Regardless of the individual player circumstances those players come to the gym. They all share a love for a game...the game of basketball. Some were unselfish by nature others were self-centered with desires and personal gratifying-expectations. It became my charge, my challenge to create a team culture that made everyone responsible for one another, trust th coach and adopt true selflessness.

I will always miss that wonderful opportunity, which I found in a 37-year coaching career.


No comments:

Post a Comment