Monday, November 28, 2016

What's in it for me?

It is obvious that the perception of 'success' is much like beauty...it's in the eye of the beholder or shall we say, predicated on 'how' one is impacted. Let me explain.

Fifteen years ago, I retired from coaching. I stayed busy writing a book, speaking around the nation at educational conferences and school districts. I was approached by the Decatur school district to serve in a sport consultant capacity and coordinate the financially failing boys' Thanksgiving basketball tournament. Pulling the tournament from the financial fires was relatively simple: Identify strong corporate and business financial support and cleanup the events' administrative abuse of power, which undermined revenue stability. It's kinda like making a restaraunt profitable; to do so, you must do three things: (1) Stop employees from stealing product, (2) cut food portions and (3) increase prices. That's the blueprint we used with the tournament and today we are solvent year after year giving out $18,000.00 to participating schools, $4,500.00 for security, etc., suffice to say a total of 31,000.00 in costs.

Still not everyone smiles with joy. Some coaches don't like the team pairings, other coaches disagree with all tourney selections. Some fans don't like the VIP hospitality-room food offerings while others are angry with the pass gate arrangements or the 'no pass out-re-entry' philosophy. Some of the parents expect free admission because their son or daughter is singing the National Anthem or half-time tumbling performers. Other parents become offended when challenged at the admission gate using a player's pass to gain free entrance. Central Illinois newspapers may or may not 'cover' the games but expect all box scores and stats faxed to them in a timely fashion.

In our attempt to explain 'reasons' and resolve issues, I use two straight-forward simplistic comments: First, I try to offer the 'reason' for the policy or situation and that's a 50/50 acceptance likelihood. If that comment is rejected, I suggest to the person complaining that they should consider other entertainment choices.

If I have noticed anything in this journey, I have certainly observed the ever expanding individuals' perceived self-importance and their expectation to have their desires and wishes met above all other considerations. That said, I realize that I have always been an easy person to dislike...wish it wasn't so.

Nearly nine thousand fans enjoyed terrific high school basketball talent last week at the 47th Annual Decatur/Team SOY Capital Turkey Tourney. I witnessed homecoming reunions, law enforcement officials and local ministers we recognized as community heroes while celebrating two 1966-state basketball finalist teams. God willing, I'll answer His call next year.

What's in it for me? Celebrating others' talents and joy while digging my heels in against narcissistic behavior.


No comments:

Post a Comment