Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Bringing joy to self.

Yesterday morning, I went to McDonald's for coffee and sat down with a group of gents I used to have coffee with every morning. I suppose it's been nearly a year since I joined them for AM Java.

About three minutes to the gathering, I remembered why I stopped going to coffee. The conversation was rapid fire between two fella's complaining to one another about how little appreciation their kids and grandkids show for all that they do for them. This crying conversation continued for another three minutes when I realized I had two choices. I could speak my piece or excuse myself, grab a cup lid and leave. I elected to exercise both choices.

I asked both grandpas, "Why do you guys do so much for your kids and grandkids?" They each looked at me as if I was an idiot. I pressed on with a second question, which created silence and I'm sure a degree of anger. I asked, "Do you always do loving gestures seeking a payback?" At that moment, I knew it was time for choice #2, grab the lid and depart the coffee clutch. Before leaving the table, I said in a urgent voice, "By golly, I forgot to collect eggs from the chicken coop this morning; gotta run fellas." It'll be another year, to their delight, before I return to that nonsense conversation.

I don't keep scorecards. I really don't. When I reach out to kids, grandkids or neighbor's, I do so because they need and/or I love. My reward comes in the 'reaching.' Sometimes those folks reach back and the reward is blessed with a greater relationship. Other times it ends with my reach...and that's okay with me. Don't get me wrong, I am not without 'loving needs' but I refuse to fish for such.

NO. I Don't!....................................................................................................have chickens.


No comments:

Post a Comment