Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Goin' Shoppin'

I recall Grandpa E.V. Bennett telling one of his daughters, "Don't buy it from a salesman at your front door; it'll cost you more." I guess E. V. was suggesting to get off your butt and go price shop for the item. E.V. would be deeply puzzled by the 'online' shopping mentality of today's consumers.

I think about this shopping change every time I see one of those endless television commercials that make some offer and then require you to telephone with credit card in hand. This is the great American 'lose-lose' scenario! Come on, connect the dots. First, you risk identity theft with the repeated online use of credit card-exposure. Secondly, the online shopping is killing the retail stores, which hire local people. Finally, Americans propensity to sit at a computer ordering goods is just another indication of our laziness, which leads to a more sedentary lifestyle and extra-large people seated next to us on airplanes.

I am very sensitive in behalf of the American work force. I refuse to use a self checkout line. I told my Doctor that I would not use his office computer-scanner to check-in for an appointment. If we don't draw the line somewhere more people will lose those jobs. I refuse to cross picket lines.

Our American consumer thinking is bassackwards. We wish to buy goods as cheap as possible therefore most of those goods come from foreign countries with a low labor cost. Americans then bitch about our nation's unemployment numbers. Oh, we like labor unions if 'our' family member is a skilled or semi-skilled tradesman but if 'ours' don't need that Union wage and benefit protection then let's screw the unions. Reminds me of the old farts in my neighborhood who told me that they would NOT vote for an increased sales tax for schools because "their kids are out of school." What asses!

Well, I suppose you've guessed by now; I'm buying 'My Pillow' at Kohl's.


No comments:

Post a Comment