Monday, November 7, 2016

The Way it Was; The Way it IS.

A neighborhood high school sophomore girl recently asked me if I could be interviewed for a social studies paper she was doing. When she told me the topic was 'Elderly Perceptions of Societal Changes,' I immediately realized I should say "yes" and I did. Her research questionnaire focused on the 'changes' on the American social landscape the past fifty years.

I told my neighborhood friend that the short answer is simple: 'technology and civility.'

Looking at the technology issues, I suggested the following changes. As a kid, I recall open windows allowing fresh breezes cooling hot homes that did not have air conditioning. Likewise, I've witnessed coal furnaces giving way to gas heat. Yesterday homes found sewing machines. Those machines disappeared as cheaply made clothing from Asian countries found the American market. I also remember neighbor streets with no autos parked alongside curbs because families had but one auto. The chicken breasts' sizes at my local grocery store and the color of egg yolks give me great pause today. As a young boy, I fetched many eggs from Grandpa Bennett's chicken coop and had I ever passed a chicken in that pen with breasts 'that' big, I would have been looking the bird in the eyes. Chickens today share commonalities with our pro athletes...they are 'juiced.'

The tech thing went crazy as the three channel black & white TV was trashed for the 300+ Direct-TV channels. Cell phones, smart phones, IPads and 'stuff' I don't know enough about to even name now occupy my grandchildrens' attention. It is rare these days to get a personal letter or note from a friend or family member. Why take the time when we can text?

Before addressing the issue of civility, I asked my term paper research friend, "How many people on our street do you and your parents know by first names?" She paused and then said, "Maybe three houses." (Note: I did not respond but thought...how sad, how very sad. Christ told us to "Love one another as I have loved you." We don't even take the time to visit with one another!)

As for 'civility' let's sum that up quickly. Most children (today) are institutionally raised. They go from womb-to-room. We are a nation of impolite, disrespectful, boorish and self-centered people. I know this to be true simply looking at the people we seemingly hold in high esteem by electing them to office to do our country's business!



No comments:

Post a Comment