Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Drink Slowly

I had a difficult time falling to sleep last night. Just before I went to bed, I took a drink of water and it went down wrong, I coughed and then the water came up with half of it coming out my nose...don't you just hate when that happens. My eyes would not stop watering and my nostrils burned. I thought, at the moment, that water boarding torture must be a nasty experience.

I got my mind off my nose burn thinking about the World Series baseball. When I was a kid, the average Major League Baseball player made about $15,000.00 a year and the bleacher seat game tickets cost .75 and a box seat about 6-bucks. Today's average MLB salary is $3 million and to watch him swing for the fences my box seat is $100 per game. Forget the five dollar bottled water; paying those prices, I'm sure I'd gag and have it fly out my nose. Funny thing, the game has not improved proportionately to the fan cost and players' pay.

I noticed when buying garments (T-shirts & Polo's) for the Decatur basketball Tournament that I coordinate, the cost can go higher when buying extra large sizes but buying extra small garments does not reduce my cost. I find that strange but not as strange as my adult children expecting me to attend every granddaughters' dance recital and yet making fun of me for watching Dancing With The Stars. I

I recall when major cities in American had more Christian Revivals than street demonstrations. I also remember when most high school athletes' parents could not attend 4:00PM baseball games because they had to work. Boy, that's changed.
I cannot, for the life of me, understand what happened to cause personal living journeys to become so boring and mundane that 'reality' television programs captivate Americans fancy. The other day, I took my wife to Springfield where she met friends for lunch. I killed time at Barnes & Noble Book Store. Two teenage boys were laughing at a magazine showing a bathing suit photo of Marilyn Monroe. One boy said, "Man she was fat." Someone tell me when THAT perception changed. I was glad I was not drinking my Pepsi when the kid made that statement. Pepsi really burns the nostril coming out.

No comments:

Post a Comment