Thursday, November 17, 2016

What Coulda Been!

I'm not mad because: Romans 8-28: "And we know that all things work together for the good to those who love God, to those who are called to His purpose."  I simply recalled this scenario yesterday when I posted my 'remembrance' blog upon learning of Coach Duncan Reid's death.

Early in my seven year Edwardsville high school basketball/cross country coaching tenure, I convinced the administration that we should host a 16-team invitational Christmas Holiday Basketball Tournament. This was long before our rival Collinsville hooked up with Schnucks for their classic.

I hustled to put together an attractive field. I convinced local powers the likes of East St. Louis, Madison and Civic Memorial along with Bloomington high school and Elk Grove (Northwest Suburbs) to participate. The big catch, however was convincing Lincoln's Coach Reid to leave the long established and prestigious Pekin Holiday Tournament and join the Edwardsville field. Lincoln's fan following was capable of filling half the Tigers' gym when they played...and they did!

Funny thing but very true; it is said that timing is everything. When I took the coaching position at Edwardsville in 1970, 'change was blowing in the wind.' SIUE was becoming an established institution of higher education and was challenging the more 'conservative thinking' of Edwardsville's old-guard. The downtown Edwardsville merchants were feeling uneasy about nearby shopping malls and the aggressive businesses development from the little village of Glen Carbon next door.

On a personal note, I found myself embarking on a seven year challenge from an unhappy parent whose son I 'cut.' The daddy ran for and was elected to the Board of Education. How do you spell vendetta?
In spite of the turmoil and great resistance, the players responded to their coaches with dedication, trust and effort. Those kids won 108 games and broke a 20-year State Tournament appearance drought.

Unfortunately, the Edwardsville Christmas Basketball Classic lost its 'father' when I resigned to take the Jacksonville position. And so it goes...One final note: The Edwardsville Tigers basketball team will join the 2016 Collinsville Holiday Basketball Tournament Field...'Timing-a-tic-a-tic-a-tic-a-timing....'

No comments:

Post a Comment