Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Thanks for the Memories

Hall of Fame prep basketball coach, Duncan Reid has died. Duncan Reid was one of the best high school basketball coaches with whom yours truly ever did battle. The name Reid ranks alongside others with whom I have matched coaching preparations and wits. The likes of Dick VanSyoc (Peoria Manual),  Ed Butkovich (Mt. Pulaski), Virgil Fletcher (Collinsville), John Theil (Galesburg), Dawdy Hawkins (Pekin), 'Pick' Dehner (East St. Louis), Neil Alexander (Lincoln), Rich Herrin (Benton), Clark Barnes (Springfield), Chuck Buescher (Peoria), Cal Hubbard (Lincoln) and Sherrill Hanks, Jerry Leggett and Loren Wallace (Quincy).

Duncan Reid's intense coaching style was second to none. He was demanding of his players and his players responded with their all out effort, trust and respect. It was obvious that Coach Reid took a loss personally. Duncan shared a common characteristic with the other coaches mentioned...he was a  'dinosaur.' Let me explain. I believe there are two kinds of coaches: Those who 'WANT' to coach and those who 'MUST' coach. Those who must coach usually stay at the 'calling' for thirty or forty years. The coaching was never a job but always a passion.

I have special memories of each mentor that I have listed in this blog. I had a great mutual respect and relationship with Duncan Reid as well as a special friendship. I was so happy when Duncan embraced Christ as his Lord and Savior. I was not surprise to observe his devotion to the Lord's work with the same intensity with which he coached.

Thanks for the memories, my friend. Enjoy the endless 'overtime' of Paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment