Sunday, December 11, 2016

A Daily Possibility

Sports' happenings offer extremes and a mixed bag of emotions. Let me explain my premise.

As an athlete performing on a baseball diamond and running the basketball court or the 'coach' on the bench, I recall those seasons and specific games that remain forever embedded in my memory because of the unexpected and unforeseen happening. Even as the 'arm-chair' critical fan
I readily remember those 'Holy Cow' moments.

I still cannot believe what I witnessed that 1954 May day at Sportsman's Park when St. Louis baseball great, Stan Musial hit five (5) home runs against the Giants. A more recent unexpected performance was that of St. Louis player, David Freese in the 2011 World Series.

I recall the pressure (feelings) coaching several teams, which were expected to turn in banner years...some did and some did not. On the other side of the coin, I remember teams that offered very little to get excited about and yet shocked the faithful with unanticipated winning performances.

Perhaps these wonderful joyous moments from 'out-of-the-blue' motivates me to 'create the pleasurably unexpected for others. I recall the time picking up a restaurant receipt for a young family while traveling to my own rather lucrative speaking engagement. On another occasion, I remember a elderly physically handicapped woman admiring my wife's hand crocheted scarf while dinning out. As we walked by the lady's table on our way out of the establishment, my wife gently placed the scarf around the woman's neck and said, "Merry Christmas."

There will be those who read my words today and take away the thought that I praise self. So be it. You miss the point...just don't miss your opportunities to embrace the unexpected joys and give the unanticipated joys.

No comments:

Post a Comment