Wednesday, December 28, 2016

I Witnessed Close Up

I would think we would agree that young people 'under-the-gun' to produce in the PRESENT are not enthralled with suggestions and recommendations from rocking-chair retirees telling them how 'it' used to be done. Many years traveling the nation, I gave hundreds of speeches to athletic administrators, athletes and parents. I was adamant and sincere to underscore the fact that today's athletes benefit from healthier lives, cutting edge training methods and more specialized coaching techniques. I believe the only modern day secondary school sport negative is the fact that relationship dynamics lags behind, resulting in a less than satisfying sport experience for athletes, parents and coaches. In every speaking presentation, I do address the methods necessary to adopt in order to reverse this negative...but that is not what this 'rant' is targeting.

I am beginning to 'feel' that my self-deprecating 'tank' is getting empty. I am not inclined to do a 180 degree turn but many observations of current behavior is pushing me to the edge. I am thinking that perhaps an old-timer needs to 'call-out' this younger generation when they apparently have it wrong. Consider the following personal note. When I quit coaching after a 39-year tenure, I did so because I no longer recognized the current athletes' work ethic and commitment. That persona, which was once characterized by a team-driven philosophy laced with personal humility had become more self-serving and boastful; questioning the leadership was more common as parents focused on 'theirs' and school administrators loss courage to support teachers and coaches. Here is a fact-check...I was not the one to change over the 39-years.

I am sure some readers are thinking that I am old fashion and out of touch...perhaps they are correct. However, I ask them to 'square' this: In the mid-1980's, I was on the IHSA Legislative Commission. We had to implement, for the first time in IHSA history, rules pertaining to sportsmanship; particularly the issues involving 'taunting' opponents and grandstand-celebrating. The reason and need to do this at the IHSA level is like many things in education: Teachers and Coaches must do much of today's parenting. You do understand that parents of the 1940's and 1950's sent kids to school who had already been trained and coached in 'attitude,' humility and dignified behavior because anything less reflected negatively on the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment