Thursday, December 29, 2016

The Gift of Life

It was four years ago that our family left the Metro-East area having gathered there to bid a final farewell to my mother, Lucille (Bennett) Roustio. She died at age 93. In her memory I share this poem from many years ago:

                                                      The Gift of Life

                                        I came to her in times of need
                                        A broken heart or skinned up knee.

                                        Her comfort made me feel okay,
                                        She eased the pain and sent me to play.

                                        As years rolled by challenges grew large,
                                        A mother strong to lead the charge.

                                        'Big Boys don't cry,' I was told everyday,
                                        While my mother said, it would be okay.

                                        Bonding with father is special indeed,
                                        Assurance from mother was always a need.

                                        The years unfolded; a sweetheart I'd find,
                                        My mother approved and loved from behind.

                                        Tho' life became busy with family care,
                                        In time of need with mother I'd share.

                                        Notes and messages she'd send in my strife,
                                        A mother will nurture throughout her life.

                                        Delighted when called her spirits we lift,
                                        I hope she knows she's our greatest gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment