Friday, December 23, 2016

Forever In Our Hearts

A few years ago, I was interviewed by a Metro-East sports writer about 'life after coaching.' One of the many questions he tossed my way was this one: "What was the most difficult or saddest coaching moments you faced?" Of course, I could have rattled off a number of those heart breaking last-second defeats that caused sleepless nights or perhaps the first home-game coaching at The JHS Bowl (1977) when our sophomore son was booed by his own student body when introduced; all because his coach-father cut a number of seniors. I do recall stopping the auto on our way home that night and turning on the dome lights then telling a 15- year- old boy that he did not have to play basketball to satisfy his dad but if he wishes to play, he must never talk about basketball at home in front of his mom or sisters. I never asked him how he felt about that...I should do that sometime...ah, maybe not.

I could have mentioned those moments but 'those' moments never lingered as a heavy burden on my heart like the premature death of...some of my former players. Many times I still wake-up in mid-night hours and for some reason recall moments with...Joe Smith (Assumption), Dave Forrette (Washington); Billy Mitchell, Tom Gammill and Dean Harris (Edwardsville); Eric Perrine, Kevin Ford, Randall 'Doc' McGee, Craig Wills, Greg Havlin and Bobby Hoffman (Jacksonville); Shalin Bond and Ishmael Adams (Decatur). The news of those deaths were horrible to my ears and made me physically ill.

Every Holiday Season, I think about those players / my boys. I think about their families. My wife and I pray each night during this season for each of those families. We pray that those families find comfort in fond memories and in the knowledge that their sons were a blessing many who knew them. Coach and Mrs. Roustio hold them in our hearts.

We wish those families a Merry Christmas and once again our appreciation for sharing their sons in our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment