Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Why Not?

I doubt anything is more obvious than our Capitalistic culture driving Americans to do earlier Christmas shopping these days.  The first cold turkey leftover (Thanksgiving) sandwich has not been made and American people are fighting over items in department stores on what we have famously branded 'Black Friday.' We begin 'getting into' this Christmas Spirit beginning around 6PM on Thanksgiving evening. This gives us approximately five weeks to build the crescendo to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. America's church pews will overflow on those warm and fuzzy candle-lighting Christmas Eve Services. Of course, we will be back to the 14-to-18 % regular Sunday morning attendance come January of the New Year.

I have no problem with starting the 'Christmas Season' early. Let me explain my reasoning. Beginning the Christmas Season early does not motivate me to shop sooner or more often, in fact I don't shop at all and I haven't for several years. Why don't I shop? If I need it or my wife needs it, we buy it. We don't wait for Christmas for material needs. Regarding children, grandchildren and great- grandkids, we give them money for Christmas. My goodness, why pretend we know what they need or like only to stress them out keeping track of return-receipts.

Here's why I like the Christmas Season beginning early: Christmas takes the edge off America's cynical attitudes. For a brief period of time we are a nation of people who really try to tolerate, show love,  show a caring-kindness and purport a Christ-like message. Personally, I think we should all keep our Christmas decorations up year round and the shopping malls and radio stations should play Christmas songs periodically throughout the year. Once a month the Jimmy Stewart movie, "It's a Wonderful Life" should be aired on television.

Ray Charles said it best, "Why can't it remain all through the year, each day the same, that's what I want hear; it's truly amazing that Spirit of Christmas."

No comments:

Post a Comment