Sunday, December 18, 2016

A Significant Staple

I enjoy music. I often spend hours embracing my recording equipment, which permits me to copy tunes/songs from my collection of LP albums or 'burn' 45's and CD's onto composite discs for friends and family. My stockpile of LP's, 45's and CD's is extensive to say the least. It affords me my mid-night hour retreat.

I am certain that my love of music finds its embryo stages in the Methodist Church. In my youth, Sunday School, Sunday Service and periodic Church Revivals were staples with the Bennett-Roustio clans. Perhaps it was in those church pews where I began testing my vocal chords unabashedly due to the Methodist congregations' historic loud singing. I took my singing voice self-assurance into the elementary and middle school choirs where I could enjoy the music more.

There are many fascinating aspects regarding the evolution of songs. The 'pop' tune culture always heightened my attention. Studies show strong connections between our music and societal moods and issues of the time. While young love and romance stimulates much song writing, we note historically in times of civil strife and war, we hear attitudes, fears and hopes expressed in our music. Some of my generation will recall those World War II triumphant songs, i.e., "Over There," "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" and also those protest songs of the 1960's. All songs provide avenues of expression and feelings. I particularly like Sam Cooke's song, "Change Gonna Come."

A few years ago, I read a study conducted by a 'relationship psychologist,' who purported that couples growing up and dating in the 1940's and 1950's were less likely to divorce than couples of subsequent decades. The author concluded 'their' music had much to do with the facts.

Don't tell my grown children and grandkids but I often send the CD composites of those 'wonderful' Fifties love songs we call 'oldies' as a subliminal message.

Looks like a nasty weather-day,I believe I'll go to my office (downstairs) today and 'burn' a CD composite of Bobby Darin, Connie Francis, Jackie Wilson and Etta James. After that, I sit back and just listen to my favorite poet: Chuck Berry.

Several years ago, a family member asked me if I had a morning coffee group. I said no. Then I thought, why would I. I have my music, my high school sweetheart, my Poodle Pup and a great backyard swing. I suppose that's a Grandpa E.V. Bennett thing....Whata you think, brother Tom?

No comments:

Post a Comment