Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down?



My wife and I are 76 & 77, respectively. We have three grown (married) children who begot a total of 15-grandchildren of which two are married and one who has two of our great-grandchildren. They will all be at our Decatur home Christmas Day. This Christmas gathering has been a normal family-tradition for many years-running. It is indeed a wonderful celebration and one, which Nana and Boompa cherish....But....
With grandkids getting married and other grandkids entering into relationships it is obvious that on the horizons are extended families with expectations of their 'own' Christmas-gathering together! Why not?

My wife and I note the pressure is mounting on our children to juggle their 'gathering' wishes while cooperating with their children's' in-laws and hopefully not hurting Nana and Boompa's feelings with any family-tradition-change. Well, time to change, say I. I suggested to my wife that 'next year,' we (Nana & Boompa) hold our Christmas gathering on the Saturday before Christmas Day. This would avoid family conflicts on December 25 and permit school age grandkids the return home Sunday to take care of school attendance the following day.

My wife was warm to the suggestion although she did ask, "What are WE going to do on Christmas Day; we will be by ourselves?"  I did not respond but thought: 'We once went out on New Year's Eve and got home at 2AM...the last several years, we are both in bed by 9PM and asleep for two hours before that mid-night ball drops...Things change...I'm good with it! Besides, I always did want Christmas to come earlier.

Any better solutions?




No comments:

Post a Comment