Monday, December 5, 2016

It's Bullcrap and YOU Know It

One frequent target of President-elect Donald Trump while campaigning for the presidency was the media. I get that. The media certainly should be scrutinized. We would be fools if we did not accept the reality that MSNBC advances a liberal-leaning news message. On the other coin-side, we note Fox News to be a mouthpiece for the conservative cause. Okay, back to the point. Trump's campaign style was predicated on personal attacks. I would not argue with his successful outcome even though we still remain unsure about his methods to 'Make America Great Again.'

Trump's camp continues to offer the 'evil media' as problematic this post-election. Recently, when Trump was called-out for 'walking back' many campaign pontificated ideas, his campaign staff informed us that this IS the media's fault because the media took what Trump said, 'literally.' This mixed messaging can be confusing for consumption. I ask myself: Did Donald mean it when he said Mexico is sending us (America) murderers and rapists? Did Trump mean it when he agreed with an interviewer that his daughter had a nice ass? Did he mean it when he said he would pursue prosecuting Hillary Clinton? Did he mean it when he said he could touch women in private body areas because he is a famous person? Did Trump mean it when he said Ted Cruz's father was involved in JFK's assassination? Did he mean it when he said he thinks Obama might be a Muslim not born in the USA? Did he mean it when he said he knows more about ISIS than the American military?

Okay, I'll stop. I'm having a difficult time connecting dots that conclude Trump should not be responsible for anything he may say but the media is responsible to interpret Trumps words in a manner, which sheds only a positive spin on his comments.

On a personal note, I can state that I dealt with media as a basketball coach for 37 years. I always warned my coaches and players to say positive things about teammates and the opponents. I never blamed a player for a loss. When we won I gave credit to my players and assistants. When we lost I gave credit to the opponent. I never blamed...I said I never blamed the officials for a defeat.

I had one confrontation with a media person in 37-years. I felt the media individual was being too critical of one of my players and I told him so. He became defensive and said that I was not doing my best job coaching that year. I told him to report that if he wished but get off the player's back. I was taught to own my words and own my actions. Sometimes I was pleased with my words/actions and other times I am not...but my problems were not another's fault.

I have told you readers before that when I was a teenage boy heading out the door on a weekend night, my father often said, "Hey boy, be home a a decent hour and don't let your mouth overload your ass on the streets." Oh crap, Dad. You mean everybody out there is not going to give me the benefit-of-doubt?

No comments:

Post a Comment