Thursday, February 9, 2017

Glad you asked.

A few nights ago, I found difficulty capturing sleep. A combination of a cranky arthritic hip challenged by excessive walking and meditating on my laundry list of sins caused me to eventually bolt from bed and seek out something on television at 1:00AM.

I slapped a bag of ice against my hip and surfed the television until I found one of those Hollywood icon interviews. The closing question presented was interesting. The interviewer asked the celebrity, "How would you like to be remembered?" I reflected upon that question in a personal context briefly before realizing the following: Why in the world would I give two-hoots what someone thought of me 'after my death' when I didn't care about those opinions 'during my life?'
I wish that not to sound cocky. Look, I was a baseball pitcher for many years and a high school basketball coach for many years. I had to develop that thick-skinned attitude to survive? Let me add this reality: Once the last person who ever knew me dies then 'who' I was has lost all relevance. Ah, but if only I could be guaranteed that perhaps 'one' thing I 'preached' would stand the test of time. I'd be all over that question's answer.

My statement to ALL would be: "Avoid woulda-coulda-shoulda."

This warning is not that difficult to embrace and accomplish. It is a warning that I have given to my children, grandchildren and thousands of people who attended my speaking presentations.

There are two aspects to this charge. First is personal happiness. Pursue the work-career for which you have a passion and find time to serve others along this journey; therein you will find untold joy. YOU are responsible for your own happiness and the happiest people I've ever known follow that recipe.
Second is relationship peace. Whatever it takes of your disposition and behavior to avoid unfinished relationship business with family or friends is paramount and should beg for immediate resolve.

Yes, I prefer that question: "What would you like people to remember that you wanted for them?" No woulda-coulda-shoulda in your journey, especially when the train pulls into to the station.

  About 2AM my hip felt much better but dadgumit my reflection on my sins is taking longer and longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment