Wednesday, February 1, 2017

My Daddy would say, "That's Bassackwards."

Last evening, my wife and I stood on the beach to watch a beautiful sunset. Several young children were nearby with parents. Perhaps the thought that flashed across my mind is shared by all elderly folks; the mental notation, 'enjoy for the number is dwindling.' Suddenly, perhaps stimulated by nearby young voices I looked at the children standing next to parents. Many were of the age six or seven. That was the age of the 20-Sandy Hook Elementary School children who on December 14, 2012 were slaughtered in Christmas decorated classrooms by a lone gunman. A home grown terrorist. Don't we know that sunsets will never be the same for those families. A brief gun control and mental health debate followed the Sandy Hook massacre in the usual short-lived fashion as it was stymied by 2nd Amendment /NRA fanatics.

Five years later, Americans are debating the travel ban entrance placed on some Muslim peoples. Potential terrorists. Of course, the plethora of terrorist attacks in our country will continue to be carried out by American mental patients wondering the streets (compliments of Ronnie Reagan) who are wielding easily accessible assault guns compliments of the GOP/NRA bedfellows.

Perhaps with Trump's Supreme Court selection, the GOP's evangelical folks can get Roe v. Wade overturned and we can protect these unborn children. After all, there is nothing so precious as kids.
It's political poppycock. A nation of people that would fail to make its lawmakers respond to the Sandy Hook tragedy yet insists on a pro-life stance has lost its way. Shame on us.

I believe I'll take my recording of Lee Greenwood's 'Proud to Be An American' to my next sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment