Tuesday, February 28, 2017

His Darkness Brought Me Light

In my seventy-eight-year journey there has been over twenty-eight thousand sunsets. Oh, one can make the argument about 'cloudy days' but in reality the earth rotated those days and the sun disappeared from our horizon. Let's not knitpic.

I suppose most people become more aware of the beauty of a sunset when that bright glowing ball disappears over the ocean's horizon or behind the magnificent mountain range. I do admit that frequently, while wintering in Florida, my wife and I walk the beach at sundown and capture that moment of day's end on film; I imagine we have scrapbooks documenting many of those times.

A few night's ago, we were at the Gulf's shore  waters at sundown and watched for several minutes the beauty of our Creator's commentary. It was not the only commentary taking place. Behind us we could hear a constant voice broadcasting the detailed-description of this sunset with all kinds of 'object' analogies. The on-going commentary described shapes, colors and accompanying sights. It was non-stop and became irritating.

Finally, the darkened landscape above the distant water's edge signaled to viewers permission to leave. As I turned to head towards our auto, I began searching the nearby people in the attempt to possibly recognize 'that' voice of the 'sunset analyst.' Suddenly, I heard his voice and spotted he and his wife and son. The couple was guiding their 11-12 year son through the maze of parked cars. The boy was blind and I was ashamed of my thoughts!

At that moment, I recalled my court side coach's prayer that I whispered over a thousand times every time the National Anthem was being played. Just before the tip-off of those basketball games, I thanked God for the healthy bodies on that court readied for competition and prayed his comforting grace on those young people who are unable to play such games due to physical or mental compromising maladies.

Folks, my sunset watching is changed forever. Whatever number of sunsets remain in my ride, I will be whispering another prayer when the sun descends.


No comments:

Post a Comment