Thursday, February 2, 2017

It's Sacrilegious People

Since Mammy Bennett was in Church every time the doors opened, I once asked grandpa E.V. Bennett 'why he never went to Church.' E.V. took his pipe from his mouth blew a sweet smelling blue smoke into the air and said, "I believe I've heard every sermon ever preached...three times." I have a strong sense that E. V. had a personal relationship with Christ but I'll stop short of any proclamation or judgment, which brings me to my rant. I am weary with so many of my brothers and sisters in Christ who have the notion that until Jesus returns, 'they' are supposed to judge and impose their Christian interpretations upon others. They are a gigantic pain-in-the-Ass. Now that you know how I really feel let me continue...

I deplore people and or organizations that run the name of Jesus up the public flag pole to justify or advance their agenda. It's ridiculous...it's blasphemy. George W. Bush made a foolish comment when he said to a reporter that he 'talked' to his Father in heaven before attacking Iraq. He may have and God bless him if he did but how dare he suggest that God signed off on his action that would kill thousands of people. Then we have people who will get their jollies over a President 'talking to God' before bombing folks turn around and do the shame-shame-finger on some young woman having an abortion...stop with your holier-than-thou-judgment...in the name of Jesus get the plank from your own eye.

Finally, this! While in Florida, my wife and I attend The Destiny Center (non-denominational church) on Saturday evenings, Village Baptist on Sunday morning and Grace Lutheran bible study on Wednesday mornings. This past Wednesday a young first year pastor was substituting for the senior pastor. The young minister was struggling at times and anyone could conclude he was a bit nervous with his assignment. His audience was about 90-snowbirds with bibles in hand and a propensity to pontificate their scripture knowledge. Good for them...praise God not self. At one moment of uncertainty, the young pastor made an analogy of one "not certain" in a situation. At that moment, a woman blurted out, "Kinda like YOU are right now?" My first impulse was to come to the young man's defense immediately. I waited until the close of the class and made my statement: "Young man, your assignment today was a difficult challenge...you took a chance stepping out of a comfort zone, I commend you. I would also tell you that if you continue to take these risks in your ministry, you will grow in God's grace."

E. V. Bennett may have had it right! Rubbing shoulders with some 'followers' is becoming more  challenging than living amongst the so-called non-believers.


No comments:

Post a Comment