Monday, February 13, 2017

True to thine own self

I watched a morning magazine-type television program that presented a segment addressing the 'act' of adult men greeting one another with a 'handshake-hug.' Evidently such a topic is worthy of examination in this United States culture. I am certain that long standing (traditional) folkways regarding the 'male species' emotions is being challenged.  Personally, I never saw the expression of feelings as a debatable matter. I was always off-put by people or society governing my emotions...I am who I am and the way I process, feel and express emotions belongs to me. I never cottoned to what 'they' say or 'they' thought.

I suppose many of our behaviors can be traced to those formidable youth years. That said, only my maternal grandmother and mother could be characterized as 'touchy' huggers. My father and grandpa E.V. Bennett were NOT huggers, therefore I always made it a point to hug them upon greetings and I also kissed them on the cheek. I did that act not for them but for me. It satisfied my need to express my respect and honoring love.

I have never had a problem laughing aloud. I've cried when family members died. I've cried when my dogs died. I coached thousands of athletes and lost too many of my boys prematurely; I cried every time.
 I still choke up when standing in an arena when a young person sings our National Anthem. Sometimes I must walk away from the television when a St. Jude's youngster is being held in a tearful mother's arms.. I have been known to cry when watching a child hug the casket of his military Daddy. I do not feel less of a male publicly expressing these emotions.  I need not ask my God for forgiveness for expressing these feelings. On the other side of my personality 'coin,' I have been a fierce competitor my entire life and I will attack to protect that which I value. Sometimes that behavior needs forgiveness.

I will continue to allow my feelings come forth...makes me embrace each morning with eagerness and thank my God for letting me embrace the gift of loving emotions. It happened because that God opened my eyes to who I am and my purpose on this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment