Friday, February 3, 2017

Need More Color in the Scene

The Florida weather has been absolutely beautiful. We've been here one month and the daily highs hover around 70 degrees. This is our fourth winter in the Sunshine State and we feel blessed to have this retirement time.

Miramar Beach is next to Destin. This area has drastically changed over the years. Once upon a time Destin was a bump in the road fishing haven. You still find one of the largest charter boat fishing businesses in the nation but all around & about is a plethora of resort villages. Our two-story cottage-style house is located amongst some 35-similar houses approximately 100 yards from the beach. Our particular cauldesac is a dog-friendly neighborhood. I imagine 80% of the occupants have dogs. Actually, I know the names of more dogs than people. That will come as no surprise to people who know me. I like it that way.

I must point something out and ask the question of you readers, 'WHY?'
I said we've been coming here the past four winters and one thing never changes. There are no black folks here. Okay, I exaggerate. I saw a few black folks working in the Chick-fil-A kitchen and several black teens working at a McDonald's. Oh, our garbage is picked up twice-a-week and I've made aquatainance with one of the two trash collectors; not the white guy who drives the truck but the black man who stands at the back of the truck where he jumps off to pickup the cans. His name is Troy.

I wish somebody would explain this phenomenon. Why are all the 'snowbirds' 'white birds?'

It's like walking into a Donut Shop and discovering they only make glaze donuts. Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment