Wednesday, June 21, 2017

A Simple Bucket List

A 'bucket list' is a list of experiences or achievements one wishes to accomplish during their life-time, in cruder terms, things to do before one 'Kicks-The-Bucket.' In 200,  actors Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman co-starred in a comedy-drama movie called 'The Bucket List.' Both characters they played had terminal conditions and billionaire Nicholson convinced blue-collar mechanic, Freeman to go on a world-wind adventure checking off items on their bucket-list.

I watched that DVD movie with family members and at the conclusion one of my grandkids asked, "Boompa, do you have a 'bucket list?" I answered, "Not really. I've never given it any thought." Well, I've thought about it and I have two items to check off on one trip.

If you think I wish to travel, you'd be wrong. I have no desire to go to Europe. Traveling to Europe would be a slap my ancestors face; it would be 'reverse migration.' I don't envision a Hawaiian trip because there's too much water to cross from here-to-there. I am not even inclined to go to the top of the St. Louis Arch. My luck would find me 'leaving' some personal item at the top of the Arch and then I'd have to go back to retrieve the item. No thanks.

Okay...here's my one day two-item bucket list experience. Actually, I wish to re-trace an experience. I want to return one hot summer day to East St. Louis' Jones' Park baseball Diamond #1.
 I cannot  begin to count the number of times I practiced and played games on that baseball field. City youth-league games, East Side high school games and American Legion games. My home away from home.

Upon arrival to Diamond #1, I will throw a few pitches off the mound to home plate. After that moment of 'catch,' I will walk hand-in-hand with my wife of 57-years and sit on a bench near the Boathouse lagoon. I will share a kiss with her and smile while holding her hand just as we did so many summer days in 1954 and '55.

There you have it; my bucket list desire. A re-visit to my Primrose Lane.

(Touch)

Life Was a Holiday

No comments:

Post a Comment